Sunday, January 27, 2013

31 Days, 31 Reasons to be Thankful: January 27: Senses

This is an ode the sensory system: a true work of art in itself. The 5 basic senses, sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch, are what we has humans have come to rely on for every single function and activity in our lives. Take away one of the Big 5, and you've got trouble.

Without sight, I would not be able to see all of the beautiful things that exist in the world.

It is my sense of sound that lets me hear music, voices, laughter...all things that I love.
 I certainly am a foodie, and without my sense of taste, a well-prepared meal would be reduced to a simple perfunctory task. 
Admittedly, my sense of smell is often hampered by my severe allergies...but I treasure the first whiff of my hyacinths blooming in the spring.
Where would I BE without my hands? My sense of touch is a precious commodity...each and every day I am using touch to craft, create, make, cook, drive, perform daily living tasks...the list goes on.

Today I am thankful for my mostly functional and completely relied-upon sensory system.

What beautiful things have YOU sensed today?

"We think of our eyes as video cameras and our brains as blank tapes to be filled with sensory inputs."  -Michael Shermer

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!