Thursday, March 14, 2013

Celebrating Bubbie's Birthday

Today, March 14, 2013, 
would have been my Bubbie's 84th birthday. 
Left to right: Bubbie, my mom, my sister Jennifer, my brother, myself, and Jeddie (my grandfather) on Jeddie's birthday
As all lives do, my sweet Bubbie's came to an end on June 18, 2011. In the time that has passed since, I have often found myself comforted with fond memories and mementos of Bubbie, as well as the love and support of my remaining family.
bel monili
Bubbie and I at my graduation ceremony at Duquesne University, when I finished grad school in 2007
I have written about Bubbie before, and I often refer to her in my everyday life. She was, to put it plainly, my best friend. Bubbie always used to tell me that I was "#1"(sorry brother, sister, and cousins...it's true.) It is a fact that I was the first grandchild and the oldest, though, so I will concede that my birth order may have influenced my moniker.

Bubbie was without a doubt my biggest fan. There's really no way to succinctly convey all of the wisdom she passed along to me, so I won't make the attempt. 

I will say this though: before she passed, Bubbie named ME as the matricarch of our family.

ma·tri·arch  

/ˈmātrēˌärk/
Noun
  1. A woman who is the head of a family or tribe.
  2. An older woman who is powerful within a family or organization.
matriarch, women, mother, grandmother, bel monili

Just to be clear, Bubbie is survived by my mother and my aunt, with my mother being the eldest of the two and the assumed "heiress" to the matriarchal role. Those facts aside, Bubbie saw fit to bequeath this important family position to me

Initially it was lighthearted; a bit of a family joke...except that it wasn't a joke. 

Bubbie charged ME with maintaining order and balance among our family. She left me with the responsibility to take on HER role: to keep everyone safe, encourage new ventures, discourage poor decisions, and make sure that the family unit continues on as one unbreakable force.

...piece of cake, right?

Bubbie always said that cardinals were spirits of loved ones passed; they are guardians who watch over us and make sure we are safe on our way. This winter, I noticed that the most brilliantly beautiful bright red cardinal has taken up residence in the small bush on the edge of my patio. He sweeps in and out, pausing to peer in and make sure I'm doing what I need to do. 
cardinal, red cardinal, spirit, guardian

This is the kind of thing that brings me joy: the smallest symbol that makes me know that Bubbie will always be with me. 

So, on this very special day, I have taken the time to honor and remember my dear Bubbie. 
If only she could be here to share in my joy.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea about the cardinal! Very reassuring to think that a loved one is watching over me when I see one. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came by way of Miss MS. Your post is beautiful. I lost my Mom about 5 years ago and the cardinal was her favorite. Everytime we see a cardinal, we KNOW it is her sending us a message.
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post. Beautiful. Also joining you via MMS. Love all the vintage jewelry remakes. Would really have a difficult time picking out my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... Trying to apply make up here!
    What a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!