Friday, January 2, 2015

31 Days, 31 Ways to Bring Joy: Day 2: Give Compliments

Yesterday we talked about giving a smile,
today this will get one. 
Give a compliment!
It's another easy one: 
simply find something that you like and comment on it.
There are so many wonderful things about people to compliment, 
it doesn't just have to be about appearance!
"I like the sound of your laugh."
"You make the very best cookies."
"I love how you put colors together."
In my professional life as a speech-language pathologist, my job is to go to homes and evaluate children ages birth-3 to determine whether or not they need developmental therapy services (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc.). The evaluation is play based and I am looking to see how the children can process information, manipulate objects, move around, etc. Sometimes they can complete the tasks, sometimes they can't. 
One thing I am sure of is to always compliment their efforts. 
"I like how you stacked those cups!" or "You did such a nice job jumping!"goes a long way and almost always earns me a sweet little smile. 
Try it and bring some joy to someone today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!