Tuesday, January 15, 2013

31 Days, 31 Reasons to be Thankful: January 15: Insight

in·sight  

/ˈinˌsīt/Noun

  1. The capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.


My dear friend Mike said it best: "Lucy, you read between the lines between the lines."

That was his eloquent way of telling me that I look too deeply into things. He may have a point...but I'd like to consider that one of my finer qualities. I'll even go as far as to say...I'm thankful for it.

I do tend to "read between the lines between the lines", and it has served me well in my friendships. I take in the subtle hints, the barely audible pauses, and listen intently for hidden meaning.

Last night was the perfect example. One of my very best friends in the world was hurting, and she called me. A family member had suffered a medical emergency, and she was not able to come and meet me as we had originally planned. Fortunately, her family member is recovering comfortably and she made it home safe and sound.

When I asked her, "What can I do for you? Do you want me to come over?", her response was: "No (brief millisecond pause), you don't have to come out. I'm tired; I'm going to get something to eat and go to bed."

Here's what I heard:
"No (Yes. I don't want to ask you to drive out here because I think it's far and it's dark, but I am all alone here and I don't really know what to do with myself, so a human face and a hug would work miracles. This situation is new and I'm frightened, but I don't know how to ask for help. Oh, and bring cake.), you don't have to come out. I'm tired; I'm going to get something to eat and go to bed."

Now, I will readily admit that I have been a bad friend to some people...more than I would prefer to count, probably. I've made a ton of mistakes, have taken a LOT of things way too literally, and have had my feelings hurt by thoughts made up in my own head.

I will say this, though: I can't ever think of a time where I had a friend in need where my insight didn't help me to help them. For that, I am thankful.

Do YOU "read between the lines between the lines"? 
Does that help...or hurt?

"Only when inspired to go beyond consciousness by some extraordinary insight does beauty manifest unexpectedly.-Arthur Erickson

1 comment:

  1. oh ... and what a lovely wonderful friend you are !!! creme brulee..better than cake !!!

    and you intuitiveness is definitely a cherished quality of yours !! you knew what i needed even if i didnt...and those words were exactly what i was thinking....love you !

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!