Thursday, January 17, 2013

31 Days, 31 Reasons to be Thankful: January 17: Children

Aside from being a small business owner and artist/jewelry maker, during the day I masquerade as a speech-language pathologist at a suburban elementary school. Friends, I say this and mean it with all my heart:

I LOVE MY JOB

I have never, ever had a day when I woke up and thought, "ugh, I DON'T want to go to work today." That right there is worth all the money in the world.

Nothing brings joy and light into my world quite like my students do. They are hilarious, hands down. I try to keep a mental list of some of the things they say and do. For today's post, here are a few of my favorite "teacher moments"; these are the little rays of sunshine that make my day so much brighter.

Things I never thought I'd ever have to say out loud:
  1. "Don't show your poop to anyone. That is your business."
  2. "We don't lick each other."
  3.  "Mommy's underwear stays at home. She does not like when you bring her private things to school."
  4. "We do not put our feet on other people's lunches."
  5. "You must stay in your space; Johnny (name substituted) can't eat his lunch when you're sitting on him."
I started to share some things that the students say, but that's for another post.

Do you have funny children in your life? What brings you joy?

"Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well."  -Aristotle

2 comments:

  1. no..my fav was....miss mcclure, oooh it smells like shi* in here @!!!! i tell this story over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was something more that I liked about you after recently finding your page on facebook. From the beginning, I felt like you were a kindred spirit. After visiting your blog post, now I know why! I just retired last year from teaching art in the public school system in Texas. Of my 20 yrs., 8 were teaching grades K-5. I've taught art in every grade level through 12th and even some college. Some of my favs were, "Mary(name changed), glue stick is not the same as chapstick. Pleeease don't put it on your lips." and finally, after the twentieth time (slight exaggeration) with gritted teeth, "Mary, glue is made from dead horses. Do you reeeally want that on your lips?"
    Teaching doesn't pay much monetarily, but it is a guarantee for much laughter every single day.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!